Friday, August 31, 2007

Fun Friday--For Real at Chez Krotow!

Wooo Hooo!!! I just finished another book, and I've met another deadline. There's nothing that compares to this, except perhaps when we birth our sweet children, if we're so blessed.
I plan and manage my time for each project, but the last week or two can be very "tense" as I await my final ideas, re-read each page, have a trusted friend check for typos.

But then the sun rises--and I print out the entire manuscript. I add any proposals I have for new story ideas. And send it all off to my dear editor.

This second story is another Harlequin Everlasting Love, tentatively scheduled for a February 2009 release. The heroine is a fiber artist, and knits, as I do. It was a joy to include knitting as a backdrop, and a relief, as the emotions these characters go through got quite intense along the way.

I'm celebrating by enjoying my daughter's birthday sleepover tonight. We're going to make iron-on t-shirts, and eat junk food. Plus watch a silly pre-teen movie or two, I'm sure. I can knit while the girls giggle and get popcorn kernels all over the house. Of course, our black-lab mix dog, Shadow, will be a great vacuum cleaner. And did I mention our parrot, whom we've had for nineteen years? He'll be mimicking the giggles and squeals at the top of his lungs, just for effect.

I hope you get to celebrate this three-day weekend (if you're in the States) in a special way with your family. I've heard it said that suffering is inevitable but joy is a choice. I do my best to have at least a little joy in each day. How about you?

8 comments:

Stella MacLean said...

Wow! Can I identify with the great feeling of meeting a deadline. So empowering! I just got my galleys away for Heart of My Heart.
After the weekend, I'm on track to finalize, Love Always.
Loved your post.
Stella MacLean

Gannon Carr said...

Geri, sounds like a fun filled weekend at the Krotow house. Wish Ellen a happy birthday from us.

Congrats on finishing your second book!

Hugs,
Gannon

Geri Krotow said...

Hi Stella,
I've really identified with enjoyed your workshop from RWA Dallas, "Born to Write." It's on target!
Keep the great writing going!
Peace,
Geri

Geri Krotow said...

Hi Gannon,

Thanks for all the support! It's a bit sleepy around here after having 4 girls chatting all night.

I'm on my way back into the fray!
Peace,
Geri

Tessa McDermid said...

Geri,

Sounds fun! Is her birthday in August or September? My birthday is later this week. Of course, not sure my teenage boys will watch a movie with me but. . . I might use Mom's Prerogative with them :)

And, yeah, on meeting deadlines! My second book is now with the editors -- I heard today it was delivered. I feel a big sense of relief. Of course, another idea is clamoring to get out but I think I'm just going to enjoy this weekend.

All the best!

Tessa

Geri Krotow said...

Hi Tessa,
My daughter's birthday is this next week, so she's a September baby.
I hope you enjoy your birthday! You deserve a break after meeting a deadline. It's a marathon, isn't it?
I've been knitting just to remind myself that I can take the time to knit again. At least more time, that is. I knit most days--allows the ideas to keep flowing.
Happy Labor Day!
Peace,
Geri

Tessa McDermid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tessa McDermid said...

Geri,

September babies are special, my mom always said :) And I was actually born on Labor Day -- a fun tidbit I've always enjoyed. When I was teaching school and my birthday would fall on the weekend, I would tell my students that's why they had the extra day off -- to celebrate their teacher's birthday. Once they started giving me that 'maybe she's pulling our leg' look, I would explain the real reason we recognized the day.

And marathon is right! Somehow, I ended up with a lot more typing/revising than I had expected. Because of family commitments, I wrote parts of the chapters on my Alphasmart, saved them to files and then would write more next ballgame, trip, etc.

When I put them all together on the computer, quite the mishmash that needed fleshing out and revision work. I think, though, it came out pretty good. We'll see.

Tessa