Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Chocolate Sin --Need I Say More?????

I love to cook and will try just about any recipe once. From Asian/Mexian fusion to Egyptian family recipes, I love experimenting, twisiting recipes and tweaking things just enough to make them my own. Which is why, and I can't reiterate this enough, I am not a baker. Any recipe that requires measuring cups and spoons and an exact amount of anything is definitely not for me. So when I find a dessert that doesn't require much of that stuff, is super-easy and still tastes phenomenal-- it quickly(like with supersonic speed) joins my admittedly small after-dinner repetoire. The following recipe is one of those:

Chocolate Sin

1 package brownie mix, prepared according to directions
2 packages chocolate mouse, prepared according to directions
1 medium tub Cool Whip
2 large Heath Bars, smashed to bits (great stress reliever, btw)
About half a cup of Kahlua (optional, but yummmmmm)

Now, basically you're making about the best trifle in the world (but then, I'm addicted to chocolate so take my words with a grain of salt).

Crumple up half the brownies and layer in the bottom of a trifle bowl. Pour half the Kahlua over brownies and let stand for a minute or two. Layer half the chocolate mousse over the brownies. Layer half the Cool Whip over the chocolate mousse. Top with half the Heath Bar crumbs. Repeat layers one more time and let chill for at least an hour before serving. Yum!

Now, because I love to cook, at least one of my recipes always seems to pop up in each of my books. In my first novel, The Turn for Home, A Harlequin Everlasting Love release for 2009, my main character Desiree makes Chocolate Sin for Jesse when she's trying to seduce him. Of course, it's not until much later in the evening that they ever get around to tasting it. But I think they enjoyed it . . .

So, ladies, what truly decadent chocolate recipes do you have hanging out in your kitchen closets? Tell us about them and the yummiest one will win an autographed book.

7 comments:

Roz Denny Fox said...

Tracy,
The recipe sounds divine. I love chocolate. My question, probably will show I'm not an avid cook---is a trifle bowl sort of like a clear compote?

Tracy Deebs said...

It's a clear bowl-- usually with some kind of stand/base attached-- but any kind of clear bowl will do, Roz.

Anonymous said...

Tracy,
This is your new tech savvy friend Michelle who now knows how to leave comments on your blog posts :)! Okay, my favorite chocolate recipe requires a set of car keys, an Albertsons grocery store, and the ability to rip open the premanufactured bag of whatever yummy thing you purchased on your trip. Can I get my autographed book now? Sorry-I'm just not a baking (or cooking) kind of girl. I do push buttons on the microwave very well :)!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok, Tracy, with that recipe you may very well have just won a signed copy of your own book!! You just ruined my diet in one simple blog session -- thanks.

So here goes my attempt to win the book. This is a recipe for one of the most divine chocolate cakes I've ever eaten; it's called Better Than Sex Cake.

Ingredients:
a chocolate cake mix (I use a Devil's Food cake mix, use whatever you like best)
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1 cup (or so--I use more!!) of semi-sweet chocolate chips
Heath toffee bar chips
caramel sauce
whipped cream

Prepare the cake mix as directed. Cook for about 5 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Return the cake to the oven and cook for the remaining time indicated in the cake directions. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool a bit. Poke holes in the cake and pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top. Sprinkle the Heath toffee chips all over the top of the cake. Then drizzle caramel sauce all over the cake. Top with whipped cream (you can also add a few toffe chips to make it pretty). Refrigerate the cake. Serve when chilled. YUMMY!!!

This is a cake that my husband's family constantly asks for!!!!!

Karen Erickson said...

Well I don't have any chocolate recipes cos I'm the type that does it all via a mix from a box but Tracy that recipe sounds terrific!!! I want some. Now. LOL

Geri Krotow said...

Hi Tracy--
I went out and bought the ingredients immediately. I couldn't find mousse mix so I bought chocolate pudding. Just what I need to entice me to finish my book and exercise. The reward will be chocolate!

Tracy Deebs said...

Fingers crossed that your book gets finished, Geri! And enjoy your treat. I'm off to exercise myself-- inside as it is still 100 degrees over here :)