Monday, August 27, 2007

The Moments

I met my husband while we were both in high school. I was working at an ice cream store and he liked my chocolate shakes! It was a match made in heaven. LOL We married early and have been together now for more than twenty years. If asked why I'm so enjoying writing for Everlasting, it's pretty simple...because of my husband.

You see, over our twenty plus years together we've had four kids, and dealt with everything from illness to first days of school–everything from scrounging for every penny while he was in college and we had two kids, to being not rich, but at least comfortable now. We've dealt with terrible twos, hormonal teens and eventually, kids leaving the nest. We've lost loved ones and found new friends. We remain in awe of what neat people are kids are growing up to be. Our life isn't just that initial zing where we met and fell in love. It's the little moments along the way. The tears and the laughter. The scares and the incredible joys. Our romance wasn't just a few months or a few years, it's been a few decades and its still going strong.


There are two themes in my first Everlasting book, The House on Briar Hill Road, and it's accompanying eHarlequin short story, The Moments that I love. One is Live out loud, the other is Life is punctuated by the big events, but it's lived in the moments. My husband and I have been through many big events, but truly, if asked to describe our life together, I'd have to say it's chocolate shakes, quiet Sunday mornings with a coffee, the paper and each other...and hanging with our kids.


So, how about you? What little life moments are your most treasured?


Holly


The Moments, an Everlasting Love short stor on eHarlequin.com starting 9-10-07

The House on Briar Hill Road, Harlequin Everlasting Love, 10/07

6 comments:

Tessa McDermid said...

Thanks, Holly, for sharing your story. That's one reason I love this line so much. I've always 'collected' stories of how people met and why they stay together. Now I have something to do with them!

We had a moment this past week. For Christmas last year, I bought Spamalot tickets for our family. The play was going to be in my sister's city -- 3 hours away from us so my brother-in-law and I bought the tickets to go as a group. Our oldest son had just started his first year of college and I knew I had to grab our moments.

On Sunday, the boys, their dad, and I all rode up together in the same car -- a big deal anymore. After the play, we were coming home and my two boys were in the back seat behind me, laughing and talking about the scenes in the play. A wonderful moment and one I can relive whenever I listen to the soundtrack.

Tessa

HollyJacobs said...

Oh, Tessa, it sounds like a lovely moment! Especially so because my youngest adores the Holy Grail and has memorized all the songs for the musical. It's top on her must see list!

I'm so glad you had that time with your family and recognized how special that moment was as you lived it!

Holly

Tessa McDermid said...

Thanks, Holly, and I hope your daughter is able to see the play. We had a wonderful time and I keep humming the music.

Tessa

HollyJacobs said...

Tessa, My daughter's favorite is the look on the sunny side of life one. I'm humming now, as well!

Holly

Merri said...

I think the small moments is one of the greatest appeals to me of Everlasting Love because reading them somehow makes me appreciate all the small moments in my own marriage that are both romance and love. Some of mine are the way my husband always makes sure I have a cold diet cola waiting when I awaken. I am not a morning person. Sometimes the smallest moments really are romantic even if they are everyday because they involve really knowing a person.

HollyJacobs said...

Oh, Merri, that's a wonderful man you've found there, and a wonderful moment to treasure!!

Holly