Tuesday, October 30, 2007

It's finally getting cooler . . .

So, it's finally Fall down here in Texas-- the temperatures have dropped into the seventies, the air is crisp and clear and my favorite time of year is just around the corner. In honor of it finally getting cooler, I'm posting one of my all-time favorite recipes for a mediterranean stew.

Vegetable Stew

3-4 tbsp. margarine or butter
1 large onion, grated
1 1/2 lbs. stewing beef
3 cans tomato sauce
salt and pepper to taste
2 lb bag of frozen green beans or peas


Start by melting the margarine in a Dutch Oven and grating the onion into the warm pot. Let the onion cook for a couple minutes and then add the meat. Brown the meat on all sides, then turn the temperature down, put on a lid and let the meat and onion stew for about an hour. Add the three cans of tomato sauce and six cans of water (2 per each can of tomato sauce). Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and then cover, reducing the heat. Let stew for 2-3 hours. Then bring the mixture back to a boil and add-- gradually, to keep the temperature high-- the frozen green beans or peas. Let cook for at least another hour. Serve in a big bowl over rice.

This recipe is great if made in the morning and allowed to sit all day. It's also wonderful the next day-- of course, we rarely have leftovers in my house-- my boys love this stew.

Enjoy:) and Happy Halloween everyone!

4 comments:

Merri said...

Colorado Denver Metro area got it's first snow about a week or so ago. Thanks for the recipe. Stews are the best when the weather gets cool... stews and great book reads.

Tracy Deebs said...

oh, Merri, do I ever agree! Last week it rained for a couple days-- I mean really hard, pouring down rain and I could barely do my work. All I wanted to do was curl up with a good book and a cup of tea/coffee/hot chocolate and read my little heart out.

I did make lots of stews last week, btw :)

Stella MacLean said...

I always look forward to cooler weather. For me, it signals the beginning of a time I love--the lead up to Christmas.
I hate to admit this to my friends here, as few share my view on this, but I look forward to the first REAL snowfall of the year. I love the cool, crisp whiteness.
I'm going to make this stew recipe the day of our first snow storm.
Thank Tracy.
Stella

Joan said...

It is still warm here in Florida but stew is good in any weather. I will definitely make this recipe. Happy Thanksgiving.