Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Tasty Tuesdays bring out the baker in me.

I love food and cooking, but not cleaning up afterward. Being the second oldest of four children in a house where all the children had chores, mine was to bake. My baking career at our house started one fall day when I stayed home from school, claiming I was ill. I wasn't ill, I was bored, but I couldn't give that as a reason because my mom was a school teacher who believed that you had to be SERIOUSLY ill to ever want to stay home from school.
To compensenate for my less than desirable behavior, I made a pan of chocolate brownies that when cooked resembled a huge slab of burned flour! Not great, but a beginning.
The recipe I'm offering today is one that makes a pan of squares with ingredients we all have in our kitchen, and with Halloween approaching, I imagine you all have some kind of chocolate bar that is made of chocolate and caramel.
As a matter of interest, I don't know if any of you do this, but I'm on my second box of "Halloween" treats--treats I bought way too soon and have been slowly devouring.
I'll be back buying more for the big night if I don't get my husband to hide them where I can't find them. He doesn't know this, but there's no place in this house where I couldn't find a Halloween treat, but I don't want to ruin his hunt for the perfect hiding place.
No wonder Weight Watchers loves me!
Now, back to the recipe.

Ingredients;
4 Mars Bars or chocolate bars with caramel.
1/4 cup of margarine
3cups of Rice Krispies
1cup of chocolate chips.
1/4 cup of margarine

Here's the easy part.
Melt the bars and the margarine together. Stir in the Rice Krispies and place in a 8 inch by 8 inch
pan.
Melt I cup of chocolate chips with 1/4 cup of margarine and pour it over the Rice Krispy mixture.
That's all there is to it. I've never had these last past breakfast the day after I make them. But then again, every one in my house is a chocolate lover.
I've actually caught members of my family having one of these squares for breakfast, claiming that it was a breakfast cereal!

1 comment:

Tracy Deebs said...

Stella, so glad I'm not the only one who runs out of Halloween candy before the big night. In recent years, I've taken to buying candy I don't like-- just to keep from devouring it :)