Thursday, October 18, 2007

Resistance

I just finished reading "The War of Art" by Steven Pressfield. It's a wonderful book for anyone in the creative arts, but truly, for any of us. Pressfield's premise is that "Resistance" follows us whenever we're about to embark upon a journey or reach an accomplishment that will improve our souls, touch other's hearts, make a difference in the world.

Resistance can be in the form of procrastination (my favorite), obsession with anything but what you need to get done (is this why I must find that perfect tea to drink desk-side while I'm writing?), and pure avoidance--taking a nap.

I'm simplifying what is an amazing book by Pressfield, and an age-old idea. For some reason, as human beings, we find it easier to fight our innermost desires than to show up at bat and swing for it!

This applies to the Everlasting Love of our lives, doesn't it? If we've been in a long-term relationship, blessed with years of loving, we see this. One or the other partner can loose interest, the relationship can be broken--there's always a threat. But with sustenance in the form of time, an open mind, and a healthy dose of humor, we can keep Resistance at bay in our lives and keep our relationships and families healthy and happy.

What if you don't have a family? What if your family is say, your pet? Resistance shows up in the dog who prefers the living room rug to the backyard for toilet duty, doesn't it? With patience and love, most all dogs can be house trained.

In case you haven't figured it out, I'm fighting Resistance as I type this. I have a proposal due tomorrow, and I'm fighting the sudden desire to knit, eat chocolate, see what's on TV, make a crockpot meal, clean out the garage or basement. These are all things (save for the knitting and chocolate) that will disappear from my conscious thoughts the moment the proposal is in the mail.

I keep my Resistance at bay the best when I simply accept it for what it is and move forward. I want a career as a novelist. I desire to bring fulfilling love stories to the page. Stories that will change a reader's heart and offer hope. This trumps any procrastination skill I've developed, no matter how fun at the time.

What's your Resistance to? How does it manifest? More importantly, how do you defeat it?

2 comments:

Stella MacLean said...

Resistance, what a timely idea. Like you, I'm resisting getting my proposal finished because I think it's just awful. I have a feverish attachment to the idea that if it's mine, it's probably flawed beyond redemption. So, let's see, today I've done house work, talked to the cat, checked email FOUR times and gardened when my heart and my mind is still struggling with my story proposal. But sometimes that wandering around, doing anything but what needs to be done, helps me strengthen my story. Here's hoping.
Stella MacLean

Merri said...

I often used to feel resistance about paper deadlines in college/grad school. I guess I overcame the resistance factor when not doing it just felt worse than doing it. I like to shop for books or read about books when I should be focused on work or mundane things. I love to houseclean before new projects---it sort of clears my mind.