Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A WEEKEND WRITER NO MORE --

Wednesday is about writing, and I certainly have something to share today.

On Monday of this week, I submitted a letter of resignation at my day job. I say it’s time. My writing friends say, it’s about time.

After fifteen years of working in education and employment programs with disadvantaged clients, the last seven of which also included a second job - writing novels for Harlequin - I had reached a crossroad. It’s not because I wanted to tell my employer to “take this job and shove it.” In fact, I’ve derived immense satisfaction from assisting people to earn their GED diplomas, construct resumes for their job search, and provide food from our pantry when they needed sustenance. I have enjoyed the camaraderie of co-workers whose goals were similar to mine. Lunchtime with some of my peers has resulted in good friendships.

I have also enjoyed receiving a paycheck every week! Writers are self-employed with income arriving sporadically.

I will miss the day job; I do not leave it lightly. But time is passing.

I know I am fortunate to have tasted success as a novelist. The pleasure of connecting with readers who write to me about my stories, the author friends I’ve made, and the joy I’ve had in delving deeply into the craft itself cannot be overstated. I’ve loved it all! And want more. My goal is a full-time writing career. Are there stories I might imagine if I had more time to dream, or to conduct research? Do I have the skills to flex more writing muscle? Frankly, I don’t know. But I want to find out. And time is passing.

I have already lived the dreams of every little girl – falling in love, becoming a young wife, a new mother, an equal partner in a wonderful marriage. I count my blessings every single day. And although time is passing, there is a season for everything. This is my season for a new dream.

I wish you many seasons and many dreams.

Linda, who loves reading and writing Everlasting Love stories

20 comments:

Heather MacAllister said...

A season for dreams. Sniff!

HollyJacobs said...

Oh, Linda, congratulations! May this next chapter in your life be a wonderful one!

Holly

PatriciaKay.com said...

I'm so happy for you, Linda. And I know your readers will be even happier knowing they'll have many more Linda Barrett books to look forward to!

Jolie Mathis said...

Congratulations, Linda!! Much happy writing in your jammies and comfy socks!

Geri Krotow said...

Congrats to you Linda, you are your own Heroine and in my opinion, one of the best. You deserve all the happiness and success that is on its way! Here's to many more great Linda Barrett stories---Geri

Stella MacLean said...

Congratulations on making such a big move! To finally find yourself in a position to make such a choice is really
wonderful.
All the best,
Stella

TJ Bennett said...

Congratulations, Linda. You're living the dream of every writer. Good luck, although I doubt you will need any.

TJB

Anonymous said...

Mega congrats, Linda. I wish you all the best. May you enjoy writing full-time!

Tracy Deebs said...

Oh, congratulationsm Linda! I'm so excited for you-- what a wonderful path you've chosen and I can't wait to read the fruits of your increased labors :)

Tracy

Roz Denny Fox said...

Linda,
The sun is shining on you today. I know you will make the most of your new season. It is hard to break old ties, but you have a rich history of work and family to draw from. Here's cyber champagne to you!
Roz

Judith Raxten said...

Congratulations, Linda! We're all rooting for you. Wish I could do the same, but I'm already unemployed (retired, actually) so I'm already a full time writer...by default! Let us know when your next book is in the works or about to come out.

Judy Raxten

Helen Brenna said...

Woohoo, Linda! Hope this new stage in your life is everything you want it to be and more!

Anonymous said...

Mega congrats, Linda. I'm so excited and happy for you. I know you will be missed at your job, but just think of all the extra grandbaby-time you'll have!!!

Enjoy every minute! And a big thumbs up to Mike for being so supportive of you. What a great guy!

Deb

Linda Warren said...

Congratulations, Linda! You've talked about this for a long time and I'm so happy you're time has finally arrived.
Here's a toast to you, to the next phase of your life and to all the wonderful books you'll write.
Enjoy your season of dreams.
Linda Warren

Linda Barrett said...

Thank you, thank you everyone for your good wishes. Many of you have heard me mumble about this for a long time. You deserved to know when the plan became a reality. And frankly, writing to this loop and my SuperLoop makes it seem real to me! I'm still absorbing it. Fortunately, the timing is great. I'm in mid-contract, so I'm busy...writing!

Linda

Terry McLaughlin said...

Congratulations, Linda :-)! I'm sure you'll enjoy every minute of this new phase of your life.

Carrie Weaver said...

Congratulations, Linda! You've worked hard for this moment. Enjoy!
Carrie W

Linda Cardillo said...

Linda,

Congratulations! What wonderful news! You are an inspiration. Savor every moment of living, observing and writing in this next phase of your life.

Linda

Kimberly Frost said...

Linda,

Congratulations! Though change can be stressful, when it's a change whose time has come, it should be a celebration. And with the New Year right around the corner, it's perfect timing for starting afresh. Good luck & I look forward to hearing how it's going. :)

Anonymous said...

Exciting times for you, Linda. I'm sure you'll find this next phase of life equally fulfilling. I look forward to more Linda Barrett stories.