Thursday, November 8, 2007

Changing Seasons

It’s finally beginning to feel like winter is coming to New England, as the temperature dropped below freezing for the first time last night. I was the first one home this evening in my hard-working household, so it was my job to get the fire going in our woodstove and warm up the family room and kitchen where we seem to live most of our lives. Fortunately, Pop Moody, the seventy-year-old woodsman who delivers our cord every fall, stopped by on Saturday with his truckload.

I love this time of year. This morning on my drive to work along Lake Quinsigamond, the light hit the trees at exactly the right angle and every leaf seemed to be on fire. The variations in nature’s palette always astound me, especially so in this season. I am a painter as well as a writer, and I’ve often been inspired by and have tried to capture the vibrancy and play of light and color in the surrounding hills.

When I’m painting with words I’m trying to capture a different kind of vibrancy—the energy between two people, and the light and shadows through which they move in their relationship. My stories track the seasons in a marriage—the tender hope and renewal of early spring; the languor and sometimes intense heat of summer; the bittersweet pleasure of fall that urges us to seize the day before the leaves are stripped bare; and the uncompromising honesty of winter, when we can only to turn to each other for warmth and comfort.

There is something both exhilarating and reassuring in the cycles of our lives.

3 comments:

Stella MacLean said...

Dear Linda,
Your words are so inspiring. I also live in a part of the world where the changing colors of fall are a dramatic backdrop to everyday life.
And I love your reference to the changing light and shadow patterns of a relationship. For all of us, seeing our relationship as being made up of light and shadow means that no matter where we are in the relationship, and especially when we feel we're in the shadow, we can always see the light around the shadow. That the shadow will always be defined by the light is so inspiring.
You're a very visual writer.
Thank you,
Stella

Linda Barrett said...

Linda,

You make me yearn, once again, for my years in MA. As soon as you typed Lake Quinsigamond, I was there! In Houston, when we see three red leaves on the same tree, my husband always says, "a veritable riot of color. Enjoy."

As always, your comments about our writing palatte are exactly so. The seasons of life, the seasons of love. To be held in our hearts.

Linda B.

Roz Denny Fox said...

Linda,
I do miss the changing seasons, living in Tucson. I don't think I miss stacking and hauling firewood, though. I did a lot of that growing up in the Northwest.
I envy you being able to paint. It's a skill that my sister has that skipped me. In the winter months I love to hole up and do hand crafts and puzzles. Eating is my other pasttime in the winter. Ha---I always put on padding and tell myself it's nature's way with all creatures.
Have a great mid November weekend everyone.
Roz