Monday, September 17, 2007

Apple-Picking Anyone?

I live in Texas, where it is still in the high eighties and nineties most days-- even though fall is almost officially upon us. But I was born in Detroit and have many fond memories of going apple picking at the end of September and the beginning of October, as the air turned crisp and the apple crops came in. My mom's favorite place to apple pick was Blake's Apple Orchard, where we would start the day with warm cinnamon-sugar donuts and fresh apple cider before spending hours plucking MacIntosh and Granny Smith apples from the trees. Then we would return home and mom invariably would make the biggest, fullest, best apple pie in the whole world. I still can't smell the combination of apples and cinnamon without thinking of those days.


But as it is still hot here in Austin, instead of giving you my mom's apple pie recipe I am instead sharing the absolute best apple dip you'll ever taste. Bring it to your next gathering or simple keep it in the fridge for your kids' after school snack attack. Mine absolutely love it.


1 package cream cheese
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup Heath Toffee Chips (next to chocolate chips in the baking aisle)
Splash of vanilla


Let the cream cheese come to room temperature and then mix all of the ingredients together. Let chill for half an hour to an hour, and then serve with sliced apples.

Try it-- you'll get rave reviews :)

3 comments:

Tessa McDermid said...

Tracy,

I love apples and reading, especially together. I used to have an "Apple Reading Day" in my classroom when the weather was rainy. I'd bring in a big silver bowl full of apples and we'd eat and read until they were gone. The students loved it.

Your dip sounds delicious. I'll try it and pass on the compliments. Thanks for sharing.

Tessa

Tracy Deebs said...

Thanks, Tessa. There's nothing in the world like curling up with a good book while it's raining outside. I seem to do that less and less these days (the demands of motherhood make me save my reading for late at night) but everytime it rains I gaze longingly at my big comfy armchair and remember the days when I could sit by a window and read while I listened to the rain.

Merri said...

Thanks for the recipe! I love apples. I went to school in New England and there is nothing better than apples, apple cider, and anything apple as fall approaches! I tend to forget about that living in Colorado but thanks for reminding me now to add some apples recipes as our nights are finally getting cooler.