Friday, September 7, 2007

About Last Night . . .

How do my husband and I keep the romance alive? Geez, this week is not the week to ask me that! With all three of my boys going in twelve different directions each, my husband's insane work week and my laying the foundation for my brand new classes while I finish up my latest novel, my honey and I have been like ships passing in the night. If we even get that. But last night, my husband reminded me that love and romance is often in the small stuff and not the grand gestures.

I walked in the door at ten-thirty last night after teaching for five hours straight-- after spending the day taking my youngest to two different doctors and a physical therapy appointment while at the same time trying to take care of my other two, do lesson plans for my evening classes, help my oldest with his science project, talk to an agent, make dinner and squeeze in a few minutes to write. The house was a mess when I left and I expected it to be worse when I got home (as it usually is on my late nights) but to my surprise and everlasting gratitude, the kitchen was cleaned, the house was straightened and all three of my wonderful little monsters were in bed.

The joy was indescribable. And when hubby logged off his work as soon as I came upstairs and settled on the couch with me to watch Jay Leno and give me a foot massage, it made up for all the bad things that have gone on this week (and there've been a few really terrible ones). The fact that he knew how exhausted I was-- and how sad-- and took time from his own busy schedule to make me feel better meant the world to me, because it meant that he was really paying attention to what I needed despite the fact that his pacehas been almost as frantic as mine lately.

So while I appreciate being surprised with a bouquet of flowers or a picnic in the park or dinner at my favorite restaurant, in my book nothing compares to the romance of a clean house and a good foot rub :)

3 comments:

Tessa McDermid said...

Timely, Tracy! I've just been asked to write a Top Ten list, if you will, of ways to keep the romance alive after the I Do's. I've been sifting through ideas and I have to say, a clean kitchen is a big one! I walked in the other night and found almost all of the counters clean and no dishes in the sink. A romantic sight indeed!

Here's hoping next week goes better for you.

Tessa

Anonymous said...

Although my life is not even close to being as chaotic as yours, I do have to agree that it's the little things our men do for us that keep romance alive. Who would ever guess that a man who does the dishes, takes out the trash, mops the floors, and scrubs the toilets (even if it he does it just once a year) would ever win our hearts over the man who buys candy, flowers, and fancy meals at expensive restaurants?

Merri said...

Definitely the little things over the grand romantic gestures! Add going to the dentist with each other. Both my dh and I love our dentist but we both feel like 2 year olds in his chair. It helps knowing the other is out there in the waiting room.