Sunday, December 9, 2007

Winter Wonderland

Stella wrote about snow last week and when I decided to write for today, I realized I had to bring up the same subject. We had our first winter storm this weekend. Last year, our area in the Midwest was out of power for several weeks in some areas. We were more fortunate. . . our part of the neighborhood has underground power cables. We lost our cable system -- and Internet connection -- but we stayed warm. Friends came over a couple times to use showers and eat dinner with regular lights instead of candles and various camping lanterns.

Once I have my family home safe, I love the days when life has to stop for Mother Nature. At least once a season, everything around here shuts down for a day or two. No one goes to school. Most of the stores are in minimum employee mode (last year, our shopping mall shut down for part of the time -- no electricity and the parking lots were too dangerous). We have a chance to slow down and pay attention to what's around us.

Since this is our day for writing about love, I thought I'd also borrow a page from Stella's comments. My husband went outside to trim some branches that are heavy with ice and hanging over the road. Dangerous for the few people who have ventured out. He rearranged the garage so that my car could come inside for the duration of the storm. We'll share some cooking time in the kitchen and no one will complain about sitting down together to eat, since what else is there to do? My teenage son asked me to play a game with him last night. Later, we'll make a fire and probably watch a movie together or play another game.

I always think of how these days can be blessings in disguise. Small moments that are treasured because they don't come very often. Nora Roberts credits a snowstorm -- trapped inside with two small boys -- for her start in romance writing. How lucky for all of us romance readers and writers! Who knows what new love stories will appear after this winter season?

1 comment:

Linda Barrett said...

I lived in Massachusetts for 23 years and know very well the pluses and minuses of a big snow. In the end, my memories are mostly of the fun times like Tessa mentioned - the fireplace roaring, the family cuddling around when the electricity is out. I once boiled hotdogs on the gas grill on the porch, and that was a great lunch.

My son's family in Florida have plane tickets for a February trip to my other son in New England. They're hoping for snow, so my southern grandchildren can play in it. How's that for positive thinking? I, of course, worry that they'll be stuck in an airport for 20 hours!

Enjoy and stay well wherever you spend the winter months.

Best,
Linda